Heart of the Civil War GeoTrail
About the GeoTrail
The Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area GeoTrail launched on October 1, 2016, with 16 geocaches within Maryland's Carroll, Frederick, and Washington Counties. The trail is suitable for geocachers of all experience levels. The trail was created by the Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area with the support of a Rural Maryland Council MAERDAF grant. Thanks to the Maryland Geocaching Society and Visit Hagerstown & Washington County for their support in developing this trail.
How to Participate
- Create a free geocaching.com account and find the 16 cache coordinates bookmarked here
- Download and print your passport
- Find at least 13 caches on the trail & record the code words from each cache
- Bring your passport to one of participating Visitor Centers (below)
- Pick up your free, trackable prize (while supplies last)
Discounts are available to geocachers at four Heritage Area hotels:
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Frederick: For just $95 (plus tax), enjoy a one-night stay, complete with our new hot breakfast featuring scrambled eggs and sausage. After exploring the Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area GeoTrail, indulge in our heated indoor pool and enjoy your in-room 32-inch LCD television, high-speed wireless internet and crisp, clean Marriott bedding. The Fairfield Inn & Suites is located less than 3 miles from Historic Downtown Frederick, Monocacy National Battlefield, and Ballenger Creek Park and trails, and just a short walk from Westview Promenade Shopping Center with award-winning restaurants, boutique shopping and Regal Cinemas Westview 16 & IMAX.
- SpringHill Suites Hagerstown: For just $87 (plus tax), enjoy a one-night stay complete with our new hot breakfast buffet. After exploring the Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area GeoTrail, indulge in our heated indoor pool and enjoy your in-room 32-inch LCD television, high-speed wireless internet and crisp, clean Marriott bedding in a spacious suite. You'll enjoy easy access to restaurants, Premium Outlets and Valley Mall shopping, and attractions such as Maryland Theater, Antietam National Battlefield, C&O National Historic Park, Hagerstown Speedway, Charles Town Raceway, Whitetail Ski Resort and more.
Best Western Historic Frederick: The "Maryland Civil War Package" includes1 night stay; hot breakfast; admission for two to the National Museum of Civil War Medicine; Monocacy Battlefield Guide (admission is free); one coupon at Brewer's Alley; one free Geocoin for completing the Heart of Civil War GeoTrail. $99.00 + tax
Best Western Westminster: the Heart of the Civil War Package: 1 or 2 night stay -Westminster is perfectly located for Civil War enthusiasts seeking easy access to Gettysburg, Antietam, Harpers Ferry and more. Stay here and follow Civil War Trails or the Heart of the Civil War GeoTrail to discover stories embedded in our towns and villages, as well as national battlefields and museums. Package includes a full hot breakfast, welcome package, two for one admission voucher to the Carroll County Farm Museum, and a free GeoCoin ($10 value) for those who successfully complete the Heart of the Civil War GeoTrail. $107.99 per night + tax. Offer good through March 31, 2018. To book this package, call the Best Western at (410) 857-1900.
Prizes will be awarded to geocachers (while supplies last) who find the locations of at least 13 HCWHA caches. To be eligible for a free prize, geocachers must record the code word from at least 13 HCWHA geocaches and validate their passports in person at one of the locations below. One prize will be awarded per geocaching.com account.
*For those who have completed the trail, Heart of the Civil War GeoCoins are now available for purchase for $10/each plus sales tax at the Frederick Visitor Center, Hagerstown-Washington County Visitor Welcome Center, and Antietam Museum Store (301-432-4329). Each of these locations will ship the geocoins for a modest handling fee. Call for more information.*
Carroll County Visitor Center
1838 Emerald Hill Lane, Westminster, MD 21157
410-848-1388 or 1-800-272-1933
Open Monday through Saturday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm; most holidays 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
Frederick Visitor Center
151 S. East Street, Frederick, MD 21701
Open daily, 9:00 am to 5:30 pm. Closed: New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas
Hagerstown-Washington County Visitor Welcome Center
6 North Potomac Street, Hagerstown, MD 21740
888-257-2600, x 10
Open Monday – Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm; Saturdays 10:00 am to 4:00 pm; Sundays 12:00 to 4:00 pm (May-October only)
Newcomer House at Antietam National Battlefield
18422 Shepherdstown Pike, Keedysville, MD 21756
Open 11:00 am to 5:00 pm, weekends only in April, May, October & November; daily June-September.