Outside The Classroom
The Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area, between the Potomac River and the Mason-Dixon Line, is ideally situated to serve as a "base camp" for class trips to Washington DC, Gettysburg, Antietam, Harpers Ferry, Baltimore and other popular destinations. This transformative student travel experience is safe, affordable, and group-friendly.
By lodging overnight in the Heart of the Civil War, students can:
- Encounter iconic American places
- Explore nationally significant museums, battlefields and historic sites
- Enjoy lively evening activities
- Energize outdoor adventures along waterways and trails
- Experience arts and entertainment venues with authentic charm
- Expand their perspectives on history
Tour operators and trip leaders are invited to browse the materials on this site—including sample itineraries, group-ready sites with curricular connections, and our profile sheet—as well as interact with experienced trip leaders on the discussion board and request a travel packet. We look forward to welcoming your student group to the Heart of the Civil War!